Soundview Manor Winter Scene, ca. 1920
Soundview Manor Summer Scene, ca. 1930
Erma Revoir Allen in the Garden, 1927
All photos courtesy of the Erma and Miner W. Allen family, property owners 1925-1945. Read grandson Jeff Allen's comments
The uniformed maid in the background, Minnie Berry, "came with the house, and stayed with the family for over 40 years". For a view of Soundview Manor's beautiful gardens and grounds, click here.
EARLY HISTORY OF THE MANSION
ORIGINAL OWNER ROBERT B. DULA
In 1914, Patriarch Robert B. Dula, then President of Lorillard Tobacco Company, thereafter Vice-President of American Tobacco Company, became one of White Plains' largest landowners when he purchased 81 acres located at Sound View Avenue, Ridgeway Road, and Miles Avenue. He had it subdivided and thereafter he commissioned leading architect of his day, Chester A. Patterson of Tarrytown, to design and build the mansion that came to be known as Soundview Manor, erected in 1920 as a wedding gift for his son Robert L. Dula and young bride, Elsie Hinman of Brooklyn, New York.
The Dulas were a noted North Carolina family: one of them, Tom Dula, is immortalized in the Appalachian ballad 'Tom Dooley'. Click here for more on the Dula family